Mass Media Monopoly

Topics: Mass media, Advertising, Newspaper Pages: 2 (733 words) Published: March 8, 2013
Unit 1 Project: Mass Media Monopoly
Karla N. Treadwell
Kaplan University

CM202: Mass Communications
Tibe Jordan

So, the prelude to this assignment was to keep a journal of my interactivity with mass communications for a few days. Sounds easy, right? I guess it might depend on how involved one’s attention is, and I have to be honest and admit that I was done after the first day and a half. I couldn’t even step away from my cable T.V. and my computer long enough to see how much of a media junkie I really am. A friend of mine once told me that “you can’t see the picture when you’re in the picture.” The way in which we have become so inundated with the media is astounding.

Without any recorded figures to go by, I’m going to say that I watch television about 90% of the day, particularly during the week. I could say that the remaining 10% is broken up into my Internet usage, and the radio, except that my computer usage has increased drastically, between school and FaceBook, so, ironically, I use it about the same percentage as I watch T.V. I am able to do this by having them both on at the same time. I can watch a movie and net surf /social network at the same time, and successfully divide my attention between both, simultaneously. I don’t read like I used to; the only time I pick up a magazine or newspaper is when I’m in either the doctor’s office, or a diner, where they are typically available. Unfortunately, I haven’t read a good novel in years.

My primary media are Cable T.V. and the Internet. In recent times, I will jump online more for current events instead of waiting for the story to be repeated on the 6’o clock news. The majority of my music and video entertainment come from the websites such as YouTube and I watch music videos and download music to burn on CDs. The only time I may listen to the radio is when I’m in my car, and that would only be when I’ve become tired of playing my homemade CDs, which...
Continue Reading

Please join StudyMode to read the full document

You May Also Find These Documents Helpful

  • Mass Media Essay
  • Mass Media Essay
  • Media Influence and Mass Media Research Paper
  • Essay about Mass Media
  • Mass Media Research Paper
  • Mass Media Research Paper
  • Mass Media Essay
  • Mass Media Essay

Become a StudyMode Member

Sign Up - It's Free